I'll be working with a patent lawyer in the coming week to get the innovative components of our product protected, and then we can safely reveal more solid, worthwhile, inside information - until then I'm sorry but some of my posts will likely feel a little ephemeral.
So fundamentally the first product alpha release cycle will begin sometime in January 2019. Before this everything has been testing, iteration after iteration, experiment after experiment. Keeping the current market scenario in mind, we don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves so the first release will be greatly limited in scope, capability and power. Here's what you should expect to see:
- Basic device with WiFi, built around the F2 module (the evolutionary descendent of the 8266)
- Simple system generated Dashboard (don't be fooled by it's simplicity - there's a 100+ things planned for the next release)
- Highly performant HTTPS REST API platform
- First release of our proprietary Drag-Drop Instruction Set
- Standard things like OTA, API Key/Secret management, Forum/Blog for discussions and support activities
In future releases we hope to also bring out:
- InfinityBeam Interpreter (patent pending)
- Some special circuitry to stabilize and strengthen connectivity (patent pending)
- Some proprietary firmware modules that greatly enhance features (patent pending)
- And an easy-to-use-for-coders Arduino-like web environment that let's you flash C code directly to your device and manage deeper aspects of the device wirelessly, seamlessly (not patented; but closed source for now)
After the BETA release closes sometime mid-to-late-2019, I intend to release a bunch of things as open source, too. I won't get into specifics just now, suffice to say there will be some hardware/PCB designs and some firmware/software code. I know for sure these things will add good value to the community.
Just so you get a picture of our development plan, here's our Pending features/bugfix count for each component:
- Web platform: 275 features planned, 18 bugs noted (avg: 2.27 bugfixes per week, 0.54 features per week)
- API platform: 377 features planned, 3 bugs noted (avg: 0.4 bugfixes per week, 0.7 features per week)
- Mobile App: 31 features planned, 0 bugs noted (avg: 3 features per week - QA pending)
- IoT Devices: 121 features planned, 7 bugs noted (avg: 3 bugs per week, 0.2 features per week - QA pending)
Oh, and we'll be naming the devices & firmware soon. Here's the timeframes we're looking at:
- WiFi device, no cellular/LoRa: Early 2019 Alpha release
- WiFi + Cellular device, no LoRa: Late 2019 Alpha release
- WiFi + Cellular + LoRa: 2019 R&D, Early 2020 Alpha release
- Firmware: 2-3 monthly releases
Thanks for being with us, people! Have a great time tinkering with InfinityBeam.